RTI International is a research institute based in North Carolina, USA of approximately 5000 employees with 30 years of worldwide experience implementing international development projects in energy and other disciplines. We have extensive experience implementing a variety of projects worldwide focusing on legal/regulatory reform of the energy sector, improving energy efficiency, utility turnaround, raising private financing for energy infrastructure, working with governments on legal and regulatory reforms to alleviate bottlenecks, and increasing underserved populations’ access to energy.
In November 2018 RTI was awarded the East Africa Energy Program (EAEP) task order under Power Africa (USAID). Rwanda is a priority country for EAEP, as are Kenya, Tanzania, and Ethiopia. This 4-year task order will run through December 2022.
In support of this work, RTI International is seeking an Energy Specialist to be based in Kigali, Rwanda. The successful candidate for this position is expected to provide energy sector technical support to Rwandan energy institutions and to USAID regional and local missions in support of Power Africa goals to provide greater access to high quality energy services, connect additional customers to the grid, and reduce the cost of electricity to consumers.
The advisor will work closely with the Rwanda Technical Lead (already in place) to support capacity building for Rwandan institutions, utility performance improvement, improved energy sector planning, and for the Ministry and regulator, improved ability to oversee the sector. The work will be a combination of technical/advisory work and reporting, analysis, writing, and communication.
The incumbent should have a thorough understanding of the power sector in Rwanda as well as superior writing and communication skills in English, to be used in the preparation of technical reports, presentations, briefings, slide decks, and other deliverables Technical tasks to be undertaken may include support for planning and prioritization of infrastructure, strategy development to stimulate increased consumer demand for energy, support for procurement of transmission lines, and supporting analysis of regional electricity trade.
• Collaborate effectively with the Rwanda Technical Lead by providing technical assistance to different stakeholders in Rwanda
• Draft reports, analyses, and presentation on different topics that will serve as deliverables for either USAID or other stakeholders. Some deliverables will require succinct delivery of existing information and some will require analysis and presentation of new information using project data sources
• Assist in coordination of activities between EAEP Rwanda and project leadership
• Support training and capacity building efforts for Rwandan stakeholders
• Support Rwanda’s integration into regional energy markets
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: